Sunday, May 31, 2009

A BLESSING ...

Growing up, my great-grandfather played many roles in my life, great-grandpa, friend, father(til my mom married). He would love to take us driving around to spoil us by getting us ice cream, candy, junk food. At times.. we would just sit and watch the baseball game on TV. Now as an adult I see the point was to spend every special moment together, it was about making memories. My great-grandmother would tell him.. you are spoiling them.. stop it. Many times I am sure we hopped in the car and took off because she specifically TOLD HIM NOT TO...LOL! Tonight has just topped off an amazing weekend that has brought so many wonderful memories to mind. When you put everything aside and realize that your blessings are not at all the materialistic things, the house, the cars... all of the petty things people seem to think make them happy. My blessing is my family, my husband and my children. My blessing is knowing the Lord and the promise he made never to leave my side. He forgives me when I fail him, he loves me when I am wrong, he dries my tears when I am sad.. HE is AWSOME! Another blessing... MY DAD! Maybe I should have saved this for father's day but ... NAHH! Before dad's accident in 2006 he was a pretty normal dad and grandpa. Now my dad (Papa Jake) is just... I don't know ... different? He called me this afternoon and asked if he could take the kids to see Night at The Museum. I said sure, when and how fast do you need'em..LOL. I took the kids to their home in Grapevine and he said ok let's go. I was thinking my mom was going... NOPE! Mr. Independence was taking the kids to Southlake on his own. He said he wanted to spend grandpa/grandkid time and I thought... WOW this man has pretty severe physical limitations and he still wants to take them on his own. The first thing that came to mind... he is making memories. Thank you dad for being that special part of my kids lives and making the effort of letting them know that you are grandpa and you LOVE them SO much!

0 comments: